I have a weird, but not uncommon, sleeping disorder where I wake up every 2-3 hours. It’s some type of insomnia, as I was told, but it’s not as bad as my older brother’s girlfriend who is already being prescribed with medicines. It’s recurring since I was young. I often have a really hard time sleeping. I just lie awake until it’s almost dawn. There are times when I don’t even sleep at all, but just lying in the bed and had my eyes closed. Though I never really told anyone about this because I would just be ignored. Years later, I found out that it was a type of insomnia and it’s due to stress and other psychological problems. I was a depressing kind of kid, back in the day.
If you’re experiencing the same things as I am, I might be of help to you. The key word here is “relax.”
You might want to try things I did, they might help you out:
- Take warm baths at night. Warm baths help you relax.
- Drink herbal teas. My favorite are Moroccan Mint and Chamomile tea.
- Drink warm milk. I don’t know why, but warm milk makes you sleepy.
- Listen to mellow music. Something soft like jazz, perhaps?
- Get a massage.
- Burn incense and oils (aroma therapy).
- Exercise. I used to walk a few kilometers daily. Sometimes, I go up and down the stairs a few times.
These things work, sometimes At least for me, it worked a few times. Not always, but still, it works.
Whenever I came to a point where I feel so tired, but I can’t sleep and that I can’t take it anymore, I take antihistamines to make me sleepy and they actually help! I can’t do this often though because I might get immune to it.
But if you think that your sleeping disorder is already affecting your daily life, work, etc. please go see a doctor.